Friday, November 14, 2008

Feds Move to Expand Oil Exploration

Saw in this morning's News & Observer that the Federal Government has started the process to begin oil exploration off of the Virginia and North Carolina coasts. The article stated that the Department of the Interior will accept public comment on this but when I went to the DOI's website there was no mention of this. I'll need to stay on top of this but, as I've indicated in other posts, I just don't see the point in spending either private or public dollars to explore and then develop oil reserves. The money spent for this project would be better spent on national infrastructure or on research into alternative fuels. I've added a link to the N&O article below.

http://www.newsobserver.com/politics/story/1294126.html

1 comment:

bh said...

Bluedog - I both agree and disagree. I agree that the money would be better spent on developing renewable energy and related infrastructure. However, I don't think we should just dismiss it, but explore and see what is there. If it is viable and safe, use it. I would rather not drill for oil off the NC Coast if there is a risk of spills, and I don't know enough about nat gas spills to opine on that.

Both oil and nat gas will be part of our energy consortium for years to come because no single source can power the country's vehicles and electricity needs. We will have to use wind, nuclear, nat gas, oil (including oil shale and sands), tide, solar, and biofuels. I am totally against ethanol from corn or sugar because of the effect it has on food prices (and hence the middle class budgets). Unfortunately, the transition will likely be made on a state and local level since the federal govt simply has dropped the ball and failed us on energy independence. I see no change in that in the near future unless Obama and DC surprises me.