Tuesday, November 4, 2008

It's Done!

I have cast my votes and can now move on to other worries (such as, will Notre Dame be able to beat Boston College this weekend). The North Carolina polls opened at 6:30 this morning and when I left my gym at 6:00 it was raining pretty hard. My plan had been to leave work at around 3:00 this afternoon and vote but something told me that the rain may prompt people to delay voting until later. So, I hurried through breakfast and a shower and left home at 6:45 for the polling place. When I arrived I found a short line and by 7:15 I had done my civic duty and was on my way to work (arriving only about 10 minutes later than normal). When reporting at the poll I was tempted to use my father's name and vote for Obama (he's a die hard Republican who thinks Sarah Palin is a breath of fresh air) but didn't want to end up in jail.

Any way; on to the future.

5 comments:

bh said...

At least you didn't use your father's name to vote!

It's interesting how some are acting today - it reminds me of when two local rival teams play eachother, and each side is talking trash to the other. So after the election, people will be celebrating like that - gloating over others like they just won a football game. For you bluedog, this is like when Notre Dame plays Michigan. The winner will gloat until it realizes that there are many other games to be played.

Let's not forget that the winner here has a lot left to do - 2012 is only 4 years away.

Bluedog said...

If Obama wins I will not gloat (it's not my nature). If McCain wins I will not pout (although I may be nervous about the VP if the unthinkable happens). There is too much at stake to anything other than magnanimous or gracious (depending on the outcome).

I remember how mad I was several years ago when, right after the election, Nancy Pelosi said that the next election cycle began that day. I wanted to call Pelosi's office and remind her that her job was to ensure the welfare of the country, not to ensure the election of democrats in the next election.

I've also been an ND fan long enough to know that there's no use gloating on Saturday because there could be trouble seven days in the future.

bh said...

lol - it is amazing how elections are a lot like sports.

I did not mean to imply you were a gloater - I have noticed around town and at work. No matter who wins, we need to come together as a country and get through this time.

As I said on my blog, I believe the american people are greater than any single party in DC and will do what it takes to move forward and persevere.

Thanks to people like you that served, WE ARE STILL THE GREATEST COUNTRY TO LIVE IN HANDS DOWN.

MonkeyGirl said...

I'm going to have to root for BC on this one, Bluedog. Because my sister went to ND for undergrad, there's a bit of that family rivalry there. Plus, BC is now, officially, an ACC school, so I have to keep it in the family.

However, there's nothing quite like going to a ND football game. When I went to Wake Forest, we weren't nearly as good at football as we are now and we never had that football culture that's at schools like ND. It is quite an experience!

Bluedog said...

Sorry to hear that you'll be pulling for BC Monkey Girl.