Wednesday, October 15, 2008

How to Support the Troops? (Hint: It's not a car magnet)

An old Army friend who is stationed in Germany after a tour in Afghanistan sent a link to a very good Atlantic Magazine article. The writer follows a number of West Point '02 grads and has written a book about what he has found. http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200810u/how-to-support-our-troops?ca=XuFBmB0%2BCyrUYeYGDsNS1h6EULhmNSHseMD3Md9XuaI%3D

I have signed up with the USO at the Raleigh Durham International Airport as a volunteer to drive troops home or to one of the many military installations in North Carolina. Unfortunately I tend to do this when it's convenient for me which means that I'm not really sacrificing anything (except my time, but again, when it's convenient). I need to do more.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Unfortunately I tend to do this when it's convenient for me which means that I'm not really sacrificing anything (except my time, but again, when it's convenient). I need to do more."

Time is the best (and biggest) sacrifice. Listening to people who have burdens in life helps our society. Unfortunately our opinions and biases get in our way too often, preventing us from fully comprehending the ones in need.

Anonymous said...

How do you sign up for that? What a great way to show some appreciation and get some insight on their experiences.

I for one believe that any citizen that serves in combat and their spouses/dependents should be exempt from federal income taxes - they have already paid their taxes by putting their necks on the line so that we can have freedom.

Bluedog said...

Swingtrader - just call the USO at Raleigh Durham International (I assume you're in the Triangle) and put your name on the list. You can specify which days you'd prefer to be called (I ask for weekends only) and, when the call comes and you can't help out there's never any pressure. I've always had good experiences doing this.

Anonymous said...

Call me an idiot, but what is the USO?

Bluedog said...

USO = Uniformed Services Organization. It dates back to the Second World War.

Anonymous said...

Cool thanks. My grandfather was a WWI veteran, died when he was 56 in 1951. He was badly wounded and received a medal of some kind (i'll have to ask my dad which one). My dad told me a story of him playing dead while the opposing army (germans??) walked through the fields of dead soldiers with their bayonettes, killing any soldier still alive. One of those men figures out that my grandfather is breathing, and I would not have the privilege of blogging today. My ancestors before that fought in the civil war and revolutionary war, and helped colonize the Norfolk Virginia area by bringing colonists over. They were paid with land. Ah the good old days.

I will call the USO - thanks for pointing that out.